Workshops for the Adana printing press.
If you’ve recently become the proud owner of an Adana but you’re feeling a little lost on how to get the best out of it, we have just the workshop for you! Our Adana Courses have been developed to get the most out of your press.
The Adana Workshops are ideal for those who want to know more about the heritage craft of letterpress, develop printing skills or just need a helping hand to get your Adana working properly.
Book one-to-one tuition with Chris and bring your Adana with you.
– Have your machine checked over.
Identifying any parts that may be missing or require adjustments.
– Learn basic maintenance
Keeping your Adana in tip top condition is essential for good printing. You will learn some basic tips to ensure that your machine always gives a perfect impression.
– Get to grips with typesetting skills, locking up a chase and printing.
This is essential to letterpress printing. You will have the opportunity to browse through our collection of fonts and choose a favourite typeface to work with.
– Learn some tips of the trade
With 25+ years in print and graphic design, Chris will share some handy tips and tricks to help you get the most out of letterpress printing.
The rest of your time with us will be devoted to printing, so bring along a mini project – a print or correspondence cards maybe – and get stuck in!
– Expert tuition (Chris is an apprenticed printer with 25+ years in print and design)
– Materials for a short print run. Additional materials can be purchased if you’d like to do a longer print run
– Tea, coffee and biscuits (naturally!)
During the 6 hour Adana Course there is an opportunity to stop for lunch. You are welcome to bring your own or we can recommend some excellent places to grab a bite to eat.
For more information on the history of the Adana check out this link:
"I recently went on a one day letterpress and typesetting course with Smallprint and thoroughly enjoyed it. Chris is an excellent teacher and the facilities are second to none. The price was extremely reasonable too! If you’re wanting to learn the basics of letterpress, I can’t recommend them highly enough."
– 10% discount for students and Green Door members
– It can get inky so wear old clothes and/or bring along an apron
– Group bookings by arrangement
– Maximum 4 per workshop
– 50% non-refundable deposit required at booking
– Digital artwork must be arranged and fully prepared before the workshop (please call to discuss)
– Accommodation, restaurants and bars can be recommended if you wish to make a weekend of it.
|Prices start from
|9.30am – 12.30pm or 1.30pm – 4.30pm
|12 - 4pm
|10am – 4.30pm including lunch break
Additional materials can be purchased for longer print runs.
Tea and coffee is complimentary. You’re welcome to bring refreshments or order something in. Alternatively, we can recommend some great local places to eat. Food can be enjoyed in the Creative Space or, during the warmer months, our little courtyard during the warmer months.
Our spacious studio is located just 2 minutes’ walk from Sadler Gate in the Cathedral Quarter, Derby.
If you would prefer to learn in your own studio, we can come to you! Contact us to discuss your requirements.