Kit – Japanese Bookbinding
Treat yourself to a Japanese Bookbinding Kit! Everything is included to make 2 handmade books, using the stab binding stitch Kikko Toji.
Kit – Japanese Bookbinding
Kit – Japanese Bookbinding. Get your decorative bookbinding career off to a great start with this Japanese Binding Kit.
Now with updated notes.
Japanese Binding is a great introduction to decorative binding and allows you to compile separate sheets of paper into one bound volume. In this kit you will be taught the Kikko Toji (Tortoise Shell Binding) stitch, one of 4 stab binding techniques. The stab binding technique is perfect for your favourite recipes, hand written poems, or sketches perhaps.
You will find everything you need to make 2x A5 books in the kit.
“Lovely kit, very nice paper and quality of everything was great. Had lots of fun and perfect for beginners… Well worth the cost.”
The kit includes:
- Paper (Book block): 100% recycled, 100gsm paper. 40x A5 sheets
- Greyboard: 4x A5 sheets
- Decorative paper: 4 sheets cut to size*
- End sheets: 4x A5 sheets of laid paper
- Waxed thread of one colour x3m
- Bone folder
- Swann-Morton craft knife inc. 2 blades
- Straight bookbinding needles x2
- 125ml pot of glue – 50/50 PVA and Wheat Starch
- Double ended glue spreader
* Decorative paper is randomly selected from our handmade gift wrap and supplied with a contrasting thread. If you would like to select your own paper look at the paper here and the thread here and let us know in the notes section of your order.
- Overseas Shipping With regret we are unable to ship glue and scalpel blades overseas because of customs restrictions. If you are based abroad and would like a kit please select the overseas option when ordering. The scalpel and glue are replaced with extra decorative papers and waxed thread to the same value. We recommend PVA, which may be known as white glue, in the US and Canada as an alternative adhesive.
- Items are shipped within 1–3 business days after payment has been received.
Every purchase you make helps to support The Smallprint Company, so thanks for shopping with us!
About The Smallprint Co.
Hannah and Chris have brought their passion for print to the high street with their boutique studio close to the centre of Derby and its famous Cathedral Quarter. The team prints letterpress commissions for private clients and small businesses, facilitates workshops both on and off site, and produces a range of popular greetings cards and stationery for retail. A gallery is situated to the front of the studio which showcases work by both printmakers and their workshop attendees. They welcome volunteers to the studio to help with cataloguing their expanding collection of type too, so get in touch if you fancy getting your hands inky!